Thursday 18 July 2013

Basic logic about junk vs junk worth money (or: What I learned from Ametican Pickers')

Fortunately for me, I grew up in a world where people around me liked old stuff. Actually, they still do. I discovered very quickly a few things about the world of collecting, which American Pickers always reminds me of. Enjoy.

1. If you like it, who cares if it is collectable?
I have a small collection of kitschy ornaments, which I've paid about 50 cents for each piece.


Why like things like this? Kitsch appeals to me. It makes me feel nostalgic for a time I was never part of. My collection isn't worth much. In fact, if anyone offered me money for it, I'd probably laugh and then ask them to part with a few coins. If you like something, it's value (or lack thereof) should not matter.

2.  Just because it is "collectable", doesn't mean it is actually worth anything.
During my first year of teaching I may have engaged in a battle which I never would have won, but should have, and have avoided since. One of the kids had this huge stack of extremely tattered, tor and folded Yu-Gi-Oh cards. I grew up with brothers, I get cards. These cards weren't worth anything, firstly because a) most of them were fake and b) all of them were in a really poor condition. Now, I never told this dillusioned child this, of course, I simply tried to take his cards off him because he was playing with them in class. His defense - these are worth hundreds of dollars.

 As you learn with shows like Pickers and Cash Cowboys, condition of items sometimes don't effect price too much, or make it more re-sellable, such as rusty signs. Half eaten gaming cards are not.  If you want to own collectable items to sell (or 'flip' in Mike's words), they should be treated with care. It's not that hard. Furthermore, don't tell kids lies about game cards being worth money.

3. There is nothing wrong with reproductions if you know they are reproductions
This was my first reproduction piece which was purchased for me:


This is a postcard glued and then varnished onto pine. How much was it? $5 from a market. Not too bad considering that it is very obviously not an authentic sign. There are lots of reproductions of everything, paper products (such as the Holbrooks postcard) and posters included. Some have a limited reproduction run, others are mass produced. As long as you're happy with a reproduction item that's fine. It is definitely easier to achieve a look  you want if you're happy to go with items which have not been around for long, and are cheaper to make than find and purchase.

4. It's not worth money yet, but it might be eventually, and I'm okay with that.
A few years ago, Colorado shut its doors and I bought two of these sign card holders.


Like the kitschy stuff, I paid 50 cents each of these. But the thing is I really do like them - they are great doorsteps and look awesome on my bookcases. One day they might be worth a bit - not much, but I don't mind if I don't double my money.


5. Re purposing does make a difference to the value of the item
To make my brooch bouquet for my wedding, Mum and I scoured antique stores, eBay and op shops and managed to make a bouquet comprised of mostly antique brooches. We know how much they cost, and to value my bouquet I would include the retail price of the brooches.


Some people may suggest that the bouquet is worth more because it is a collection and because it is put together. Others would suggest it is worth less because the brooches have been purposed. When I made the bouquet, I wired the brooches so that they were fixed to the wire, but could be taken off if necessary. My bouquet is very much in tact, and though I don't have any desire to pull it apart, the notion of re-purposing can affect the price of a piece, whether the caution from the buyer is real or assumed.
 
6. You have to buy/keep things you like.
The last, and most important piece of information is this - you have to love what you are buying.
I bought the 'I kiss better than I cook' sign in a Glenelg gift store years ago. Of course, it is a retro item, not actual vintage. I didn't care. Next to the spaghetti is a Warrnambool Pigeon Club mug from the 80s. It was a joke present from my grandma, but it is still one of my favourite pieces. The value of these items are reasonably low, and they wouldn't be for resale. I just like them, and in the end, that's all that really matters.




No comments:

Post a Comment