Sunday 22 September 2013

The whys and whens of buying, making & thrifting

Today I purchased a whole heap of fabric to make some 50s style skirts. I'm really into rockabilly at the moment, and was becoming tired of the pickings online. Hence... this blog!

When to buy in a chain store
I love chain stores at the moment. K-Mart and Target have so many clothes which are quite adaptable for whatever look you are going for. Today I bought some skater dresses and a derby skirt from K-Mart, and spent... well, not very much money. I'd like to say 'it doesn't matter if it only lasts a season', but actually it does, and I have purchased things which won't ball or fall apart after a few washes. And if they do, I haven't invested a lot.

When to buy online
If you can't find it in a store, buy online. I use eBay a LOT. I buy and sell all the time. But when it comes to sizing, I can often get it wrong. I've had stuff that's too big and too small in my size. Nothing beats trying something on in real life. Buy brands you know - for example, if you are a 14 in Target clothes and a 12 in JeansWest, stick with that. If it doesn't really matter - for example, you want a party dress, eBay is a good way to do it without having to leave your lounge room. If it's bridesmaids dresses, a formal dress or even something you shouldn't get wrong, buy it in a physical store.

When to buy designer/label/sports brands (yes, really)
I don't by a lot of designer gear. Firstly I can't afford it (sorry to all those who think chain store clothes are poor economy), and secondly some of it dates really quickly. My wardrobe is a lot about staples, especially as a teacher my clothes are often covered with paint, glue, ink, texta and grass by the end of the day.

As for buying sports brands, I'm a big fan of Everlast, Lonsdale and Lorna Jane (to a lesser extent). I love sports labels because you wear them quite obviously and my Lonsdale ribbed singlets have lasted me a good 4 years so far with very little fading or stretching.  If you like wearing sports labels - I have since I wore my very first Canterbury rugby top - investing $50 into a singlet or track paints is the way to go. You have to feel good about yourself when you workout.

When to make it yourself
Like I said, I went to Spotlight today, chose a pattern and purchased a few different selections of fabric to make some skirts for a pin up photo shoot. I'm really excited about making them - they will be easy and fun.

If you want something specific and can't find it online, sometimes making it really is the way to go. I've made a few of my own things, but my favourite is a poodle skirt I made for a 50s party. It took me about 6 hours, but totally worth it.

Don't make your own stuff if:
- you don't have the time, including fixing up mistakes.
- you can't sew or have pretty limited skills and/or a lack of a helper and wiser sewer on the other end of the phone
- the cost of making it is much higher than what buying it would be
- it is really important and you don't feel okay about doing it yourself

A lot of mums and grandmas will talk about making clothes for their kiddies because it was cheaper than buying them. This is often not the case now, with some exceptions of course. Also, remember that being an adult means we have to use a lot more fabric than kids (and their clothes) do.

When to thrift
As this blog attests, I thrift a lot - sometimes every few days (no exaggeration). I thrift for lots of reasons, but mostly it's a great way to find stuff you want to wear but don't want to/can't pay top dollar for. I buy a lot of my teaching stuff from op shops and chain stores because too often I've bought something lovely and a student runs into me with a big piece of cardboard covered in PVA glue. True story. But I also have found some amazing things too, and this is generally the only place I'll buy designer labels.

When to give up and use Pinterest
I am not a Pinterest freak now that my wedding is over. If you can't find what you want, trawling Pinterest might be a way of sourcing your dream outfit from an online store or finding a pattern to help you make it yourself. Somethings exactly what you want is impossible to find, buy, or make. Accept it, and then visit a dressmaker if you simply can't live without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment