Monday 29 December 2014

My first trip to Savers

It had been a while since my last trek into an op shop, so when I got an invite to visit Savers from a gal pal I was keen as beans! I had only heard good things about this place so I set my budget and off we went. No photos of my mini haul or the store yet, but I'll get there.

We went on half-priced clothing day so there were heaps of people there. Savers is very commercial in the store presentation, so I was totally unprepared for matchy-matchy coathangers and barcoded price tags. 

I purchased:
-a red and black rockabilly striped top from Target for $7.99
- a red spotted dress from the Xpressions line for $10.99
-a black and white spotted dress from Jay Jays, identical to one I just sold on eBay on Sunday for $10.99
-a rose printed long top from Crossroads $7.99
-a blue and white dress I want to refashion a la Refashionista $5.99
-and a toy aeroplane for my nephew's toy box at our place $2.99

In terms of the range, there were lots of items to choose from, but most of what I had found were from department stores such as Target and K-Mart. I am very used to finding a huge range of brands in my local haunts, so this was different. The vintage and retro section contained about 20 items, and they weren't overly exciting. On the other hand, there were anywhere between fifty and a hundred people in the store and people buying trolley loads of things, so some of what we were looking at was probably well picked over.

Everything was sorted out into size, there were change rooms, baskets and plenty of staff. There's even a toilet they let people use - when I worked our op shop we never let people use ours!

It was an expensive trip, especially in comparison to my fave op shop haunts on the Yorke Peninsula, and I probably wouldn't be in a hurry to go back to buy a lot of things unless it was half priced day again. Then again, YP has a lot of thrift shops and a lot of stock, and not always enough stock leaving the shop. I intend on doing a big trip up that way over summer to do some restocking of my wardrobe, as well as adding to my Round She Goes collection.

I really liked how the store was set out and items displayed. There were plenty of toys and homewares and fun things to look through, but yesterday was all about the clothes! 


No comments:

Post a Comment