Sunday 2 June 2013

The karma of thrifting

Some people don't like the idea of sellers going to thrift stores and reselling stuff. Here's my justification... enjoy.

1. Thrift stores are filled with things people have donated, often because they don't want, need or use them anymore.
When I moved into my house with my husband, I had countless car loads of things which went straight to Goodwill or the Salvos. At the time I was planning a wedding and moving house. I had no time to thing 'Mmm, I could put that on eBay'. I kept two cartons of really resellable stuff, and the rest went into big garbage bags, to be sorted by the lovely op shop ladies. 

2. I donate a lot of stuff to thrift stores. Good karma.
I worked in an op shop for 6 months. I loved it, but lots of people use it as their personal dumping spot. Whatever I donate, I consider carefully whether it will be dumped or resold. If it can't be resold, I throw it out or recycle it. If you frequent a thrift shop, you may or may not like being known as a donor. I don't like it really, but I always consider the fact that not only do I spend a lot of money there, I help stock their stores too.

3.  The money you spent is a donation.
Seriously, would you rather help line some vintage dealer's pockets, or give some coin to a charity? If you don't like donating to a religious organisation (and some people really don't), there are lots of alternatives, especially in cities, for thrift stores. I worked for an op shop fundraising for the Animal Welfare League, and the ladies loved animals, and the op shop too.

4. You shouldn't haggle. Ever.
Bad, bad karma. Not only are their signs warning against this, see point 3. If you don't want to pay $10 for a jacket, buy else where. At times, the person on the register will round down the cost of items, especially if you have bought up big, or in the words of Frank Fritz, you have 'bundled' items. But asking for any kind of discount is rude. 

5. Sending stuff across the country, or across the world, gives it a new chance.
Would you rather something your donated be dumped or worn? Would you like it to be resold and worn by someone overseas? Once you donate, these questions are no longer yours to answer. It is much better to resell things than leave them hanging in your wardrobe, or stacked in cartons somewhere.



No comments:

Post a Comment