Sunday 2 June 2013

Introductions!

Hey, my name is Lis and I'm pretty nutty about fashion.


When it comes to my idea of choosing what to buy, there are only two important questions to consider:
1) Is it actually inexpensive without looking cheap ?
AND
2) Does my bum look big in this?

I live in a country town where the only mainstream fashion shops are Target and a surf shop. We have a sports store too, but I never wear sports gear as fashion - ever. There's nothing wrong with it, but sports labels belong in the gym.

Unfortunately, my measurements vary without reason, so while in the above picture I was wearing some comfy size 12s, I look like this most of the time:


For everyone playing at home, that means I have LOTS of clothes of different sizes. And seeing as I'm a bit of a nut about shopping, there is plenty to choose from.

Growing up in the country meant that we had limited choices about wear to buy clothes. Although I'd hit up Target for some discounted threads ($10 fisherman pants... yes please!), I found I enjoyed going to op shops and thrifting much more than I did in comparison to frantically searching the 'reduced' item racks for something in the right (and varying) sizes.

I started selling on eBay at 18, selling preloved books and VHS tapes. Then, a few years later I realised I should be selling clothes. I went through month-long eBay addictions to selling and buying, and found that:
a) I was parting with thrift clothes at a loss and
b) I was buying things which didn't fit me. And paying for the postage to get it to me.

After some no-nonsense (read: RUDE) advice from other eBay forum members, I started selling items at prices I was okay about. For example, a black evening dress I loved once sold for a whopping $1.25. It was flawless, and I had paid $15 for it in the first place. Now days, I would charge the cost of buying it, so I could at least recover the initial outlay and then any profit would be nice... even if the profit was 25 cents.

I'm hoping this blog will help keep my little world organised and allow me to get out my ideas and thoughts on fashion, thrifting and this crazy notion of looking pretty.

- Lis xx
 

No comments:

Post a Comment