Thursday 19 March 2015

Thrifting, honey holes, donations, horrible maternity clothing and beng ethical.

I haven't posted as much as I thought I would, so time for a big update!

Thrifting Honey Holes
I've found a few hits and a few misses of late. I have a Mission Op Shop close by to my house which has lots of cool things, but at a steeper prices than I would expect. I sent in some donations the other week and most of them are still sitting there, priced at anything from $5-$12.

I have spent too much time on Goodwood Road op shopping this week. My thoughts and finds:

Salvos Kings Park
This is my longest Adelaide haunt and other the years I have found some awesome things and, let's face it, some questionable things. The staff there are really friendly, which is nice, and the store has a great layout. This week I found an asos maternity dress that looks totally cool and I intend on wearing it to a murder mystery night on Sunday. Again, prices are a big steeper than I would like, I paid $14.75 for my ultra cute dress, but it was just meant to be.

Sunflower Shop Goodwood
Blink and you'll miss it, but the best way to find it is the bright yellow sign they leave out on the footpath. I didn't find anything there this week, but I have in the past, including a really funk suitcase, and a Nova hat for 50 cents.

The Red Geranium Thrift Shop
Not only did they have a great Weekend Notes write up a little while ago, this shop is quirky, cute and fun. If you're not into supporting shops with a religious focus or mission, the money raised goes to Doctors Without Borders. I bought a whole heap of goodies for Guides and work, and a little Dotti cardigan for me to wear with my new dress.

Uniting Church Kings Park
As a bit of a UC girl, it's tough for me to say things like 'I didn't really enjoy my visit', but, well, I didn't really enjoy my visit. The store was well set out and I managed to find Stephen a shirt for his costume on Sunday, but that was about it. There were heaps of things to look at and see, so I might go back on a different day when it's not so crowded.

Donations
I have been working my way through my wardrobe and piling up donations of clothing to take into a store soon. I dropped off some stuff to my local op shop, here's how it went.

Lisa: I have some donations, is it okay if I bring them in?
Lady 1: Just what we need!
Lady 2: We've just finished putting away a whole heap of donations.
Lisa: Oh, if you've got enough, that's fine.
Lady 2: Well, is it rubbish or not?
Lisa: No, I've just got some clothes to donate.
Lady 2: We'll take them.

Did Lady 1 or Lady 2 help bring in my goodies? No. They just sat there mumbling about things. I know what they are saying - people sometimes do us op shops as their personal dump. I worked in an op shop a bit, so I am pretty fussy with what does... and what doesn't get donated. Considering that my donations are still in the shop, it looks like they weren't just rubbish.

Horrible maternity wear
All the shops I visited this week didn't have a dedicated maternity wear section, and as I'm now 'with child' (as I like to call it), I've spent a good part of the week scrounging through racks trying to find things. Plus size wear in op shops can often be hideous or misleading (no, a Large Temt shirt actually means a Size 12-14, which is not plus sized), so I'm facing some new battles there. I went and bought myself a new pair of jeans as I desperately needed them, but I'm hoping that's all I need to spend in a retail setting.

Shop Ethical!
The ever amazing shopping guide, Shop Ethical is a great way to help you choose wisely, and not just in terms of fashion labels. Our biggest department stores are also a cause for concern. However, buying ethically, really, is a personal choice, and sometimes a choice you feel you might choose not to make if and when necessary. It doesn't hurt to be informed, and I won't be boycotting, unless it's advised with some very good reasons. Op shops do give people the opportunity to buy brands they like, but don't want to support. I don't know how I feel about that statement, but it's an option to take at least.

Anyway, that's it from me for a little while. Happy thrifting!

No comments:

Post a Comment