Thursday 11 December 2014

400 Days of Thrifting: Week 1

This week has been my first seven days of thrifting, and let me tell you, it has been interesting to say the least.

When I have told my nearest and dearest about my project, they were all supportive and encouraging which is great. I was expecting some opposition, but basically the main questions have been whether I can buy underwear and shoes (yes and yes because neither of those things are overly exciting to buy). This has also made me realise what I do buy I need to think about the companies who are making and creating this stuff. I'm good for shoes and underwear for now, so we will cross that bridge when we come to it.




Now the fun part, shopping!

Day 1 was a trip to the Salvos Store in Kadina for some clothes to wear over the weekend - mostly because mine were packed up in boxes. I found three funk dresses, two green vintage ones, and a BNWT (that's brand new with tags) blue dress by Chrissie Swan. Not sure if Chrissie designs or just approves her fashion line, but whatever. It looked okay on the hanger, but it looked amazing on. The Salvos at Kadina have priced all their dresses at three dollars so I didn't spend a lot there.


Day 4 was a trip down to the op shops on Brighton Road. I am ultra excited about finding my sailor suit costume for my BBC Birthday Bash (aka Candlelight Supper), which I am coming to as Hyacinth Bouquet (that's B-U-C-K-E-T). That piccie will have to wait until the big day.

Today I went to the Salvos on Broadway which is technically Glenelg South. Lots of awesome choices but I found sensible work pants and a white print top with game birds on it. Pretty.

No more shopping now as this week is now Shop Your Closet week. Most of my clothes have been boxed up for the last month so I have been wearing the same things over and over again. I'm a bit excited to be reunited with my favourite threads.

Next week I am planning on selling off some of my rockabilly and pin up gear which I love but it is mostly wrong sizing or really just doesn't suit me. In some ways it would be good to have the Shop My Closet weeks as the weeks I sell my gear because I get a kick out of it too. The thrill of the chase! The idea of this isn't so much to flip clothes, but to re-home the ones I don't wear to a place where they will be appreciated.



Week 1 Totals:
Outgoing: $36 (three dresses, black pants, white print top, red jacket, sailor suit, black pants)
Incoming: $0

No comments:

Post a Comment